barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My dawghter has been taken to court for non payment of rent

Customer Question

My dawghter has been taken to court for non payment of rent by her last landlord she has proof of. Her rent paid her court date was 845am this am her car would not start she called the cour officer. Could not get thru till. 9 30 am. To tell them what happened,they sed sorry no excuses no exceptions she would hav to pay she would hav to paythe 3,600$ does she. Haveanyrecourse?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the landlord got a default judgment against her, then her recourse is to file a motion to set aside the default and reset the case for a hearing.

.

Calling on the phone won't do any good as they will just ignore her or blow her off. She will have to actually go down to the courthouse and talk to the clerks face to face and see if they have a template "motion to vacate" that she can fill out and file with the clerks and see if the judge would excuse her absence and reset the case for a hearing.

.

Most times, judges don't like default judgments so if the defendant has reasonable explanation for their absence, the judge will vacate the judgment and reset for a hearing at the next available date.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank u so much, this is really very helpfull Thanks for ur honesty about being. A land lord also showes ur a person of integrity.whoud definitly ask fornu again!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

And I am one of the good landlords....there are a few of us out there who are honest and truthful in our dealings with others and I think that comes back around to bless us and others..

.

.

thanks much