CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

When I moved into my apartment the gas wasn't working so it

Customer Question

When I moved into my apartment the gas wasn't working so it took the 7 days to get it on, cold showers wasn't my thing. They gave me a credit of $200,00 Now, my Microwave stop working and the New Manager said she would not give me a credit, for the non use of the appliance for now 8 Days, what are my rights?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Bakersfield California.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Month to month.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The New Management said, the rent was only for a roof over my head! the rent is $850.00 per month and the Microwave has been off now for 8 days and counting.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of the problems with the unit.

While the landlord should have provided you with a credit for the lack of gas - no hot water, no heating, there is no obligation for them to compensate you for lack of a microwave oven.

The landlord should repair the unit or replace it in a reasonable time, but they do not have to compensate you for the down time.

Here is a very good resource for tenants in CA: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf