Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

My girlfriend's daughter is suffering from severe anxiety,

Customer Question

My girlfriend's daughter is suffering from severe anxiety, and it has been suggested that having an animal might be helpful to her. However, they are not allowed to have pets where they rent (Albany, CA). If the animal is deemed a medical assistance, does the landlord/manager have any legal right to refuse them having one?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California. City of Albany.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I do not know. I do not live with them.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Your girlfriend's landlord may not prohibit an emotional service animal nor require a deposit. Such an animal is not considered a pet and the landlord can be sued for any refusal to accommodate such a request.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.