barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

This is tenant cotenant issue for Massachusetts, its a

Customer Question

this is tenant cotenant issue for Massachusetts
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: its a Massachusetts apartment lease
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: myself and a friend of mine both signed a lease for October 1st and put down the deposit for last months rent. she now has just told me that she doesn't want to move anymore which will make me homeless, and I have texts from her from just a few days a go abou the plan for the move in date
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just what I just typed
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you both signed the lease agreement then you both are equally liable for the rent for the property. If you agreed to split the rent, then if she doesn't pay her half, then you would have the right to sue her for her half of the rent in small claims court each month until you find a new roommate to take over her place.

.

But even if she backs out of the lease, the landlord could still come after one or both of you for the rent since you are both liable for the entire amount of the rent.

.

Let me know if you have other questions...

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks