rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant
8534270

I have a senior citizen friend (Dorothy) in Baltimore,

Customer Question

I have a senior citizen friend (Dorothy) in Baltimore, Maryland, who out of the kindness of her heart invited a homeless boyfriend and girlfriend and their two toddlers to come to temporarily say in her house until they could get back on their feet. Dorothy is the type of person that always thinks the best of everyone and wouldn't harm a fly. The man assured her he would be getting a job, but that a Catholic Church would pay the first month rent. The church paid, but after the first month they haven’t paid a dime. There is also evidence that the man is using drugs. He even showed Dorothy the marijuana pipe he smokes weed out of. He goes in and out of the house all hours of the night and more than one neighbor told Dorothy that he is smoking heroin.Dorothy has been under extreme emotional duress, especially exasperated by the boyfriend/girlfriend constantly getting in yelling matches. Dorothy gave them an eviction notice and a few days after the notice was submitted they called the police on her and told them that Dorothy hit the woman with a broom, came at them with knives, and wouldn't let them leave the house. They actually arrested Dorothy and gave her psyche evaluation! The result? She is suffering from anxiety. Yeah, no kidding!Dorothy decided to submit a peace order and while she was there waiting to be heard they also came to the courthouse to file a peace order! Dorothy was denied because she refuses to lie and the judge said the evidence wasn’t adequate for a peace order to be granted. Ironically however, they were granted a 48 hour peace order, but no longer because they couldn't afford the court fee.Dorothy has the house paid off but she is falling into debt due to the significant increase in the water and electric bill since the couple and their children moved in.The eviction notice was submitted to the court on September 16.
Dorothy fears for her safety because of all the yelling and screaming the couple do towards each other and towards her.Dorothy fears for her possessions because items (such as her camera) are missing and she suspects stolen by the couple.Dorothy fears for the integrity of her home as the couple are making a mess of the house.Upon doing a background search I have found that the man has been involved in two other peace order cases against him, along with theft, drugs, and assault.What to do? Aren’t there laws to protect the elderly in such situations? Is there any such thing as an emergency eviction? This is so insane. These people are the best con artists I've ever met.This whole situation is sickening and is one of the reasons people are so cynical at extending help to needy people. It is amazing how many rights people have once they bed down in another person's house regardless of what they do or don’t do while they are there.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Her next step if notice was given is to file for eviction.She will have them served with suit and its est with hearing date in approximately 14 days. These persons are seen as month to month tenants even if they have paid no rent.She will then go tell her story to the judge and hopefully get an eviction order and have them evicted by the sheriff.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's unbelievable that a senior citizen has no other recourse with people who are taking advantage of her and have a criminal history.

Sample forms she has to go in person to get the ones she files.

http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/forms/civil/dccv081np.pdf

Yes never let people live with you it is too hard to get them out hereI am so srry this has happened to her.

Self help

http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/forms/civil/dccv082br.pdf

She may also want to consider a local lawyer.Tenants with no where to go don't leave easy unfortunately.Thanks again.

Lawyer referral

http://www.msba.org/public/lawyer-referral.aspx

Thanks again if you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.