Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney

Ms.. Can a property owner raise rent without notice even if

Customer Question

Good morning Ms. Wilson. Can a property owner raise rent without notice even if my lease is month to month?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Washington State.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No issues. If I need maintenance, I call the owner and someone comes out to make repairs.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Would it be better to set a long term lease to avoid further increases?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 26 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Washington, in a month to month tenancy, the landlord is required to give tenants 30 days written notice to change a term of the tenancy, including a rent increase. See RCW 59.18.140.

It would be best to have a long term lease if the tenant feels that the landlord may try to raise the rent.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 26 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!