David Stewart
David Stewart, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
95745447

Husband and wife have signed a year lease agreement.

Customer Question

Husband and wife have signed a year lease agreement. Squabble between the two after 6 months; wife files an injunction for no contact. He wants off the lease. How does that work?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Outside just weeds. not sure about inside. They brought in a dog and did not advise me about it. I sent a notice to have the either the dog removed or fill out a pet agreement. No response from either.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  David Stewart replied 2 months ago.
The husband needs to contact the landlord and ask to be removed from the lease. The wife may not have sufficient income to support the lease so it may be the husband is stuck until the lease is over but most landlords will work with people if they are upfrobt about their needs. I hope this helps, all the best David