CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.

I'm a tenant. We live in this house for 4.5 yers. Our

Customer Question

I'm a tenant. We live in this house for 4.5 yers. Our landlord going to increase rent payment from 1350 to 1600 starting this October. Plus, when we moved in she take 1000 for the security deposit. Now, she wants another $600 for the security deposit. I strongly disagree with her. But, her lawyer sent us the contract, before we sigh the contract with her. I don't know if that's right- take another $600 for the security deposit. And the letter said if we will not agree to enter into the new lease termination is going to be on October 31,2017
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 25 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation - your landlord is terminating your "month to month" tenancy and giving you the option to accept a new "term" lease (with a rent increase and increased security deposit), or you can vacate the property.

Unless your property is covered by a local rent control statute or rent stabilization code, the landlord can do this.

Regarding whether or not the notice is proper, this depends entirely on what state you are living in. If you provide me with the state where you are living, I can assist you with how much notice is required for a landlord to do this.