LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.

Follow up on satellite dish from 9/22, landlord now states

Customer Question

Follow up on satellite dish from 9/22, landlord now states that signed lease prohibiting installations on community property trump them giving me verbal authorization ( which was witnessed & noted by dish installer).
I must move the dish at my own expense, at my loss of installation fees and loss for early discontinuation if Direct TV service contract.
Please advise
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 29 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

Did you get verbal permission to place the dish before or after you signed the lease agreement and moved in?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Lived in building 1.3 yrs, its pre-wired for DISN NETWORK only. DIRECT TV came out, determined seperate dish would work but only in 1 spot, about 4 ft from our patio on common grounds. As per DIRECT TV protocol, permission required before installation is done. My wife & the engineer/installer went to apt management office and obtained the permission. Installer noted it in his file. I received Email Friday from apt mngmt telling me I have to move dish at my expense, losing my installation fees & being charged early termination fee by Direct. The attorney I asked Friday said according to FCC regs, I don't have to move it. Landlord says lease states I was wrong to install dish, too bad that I was given permission
Expert:  LawTalk replied 29 days ago.

I agree with the prior attorney. However, the FCC ruling applies to a dish that is mounted on property that you rent, and technically common property is not covered by the FCC ruling. However, the fact that they gave you permission to install it---even if that permission is oral---still gives you the right to install it and leave it installed.

If the landlord removes the dish you will need to sue for the losses that you suffer as a result of the removal to include your early termination fee.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 29 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?