Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

I have a tenant living in my home noi lease between us and I

Customer Question

I have a tenant living in my home noi lease between us and I want torasise rent how do I dothat
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: new jersey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon, and thanks for using JUST ANSWER. A verbal lease is by law month-to-month. You can provide the tenant 30 days notice to terminate the lease, or in your case 30 days notice to increase the rent. If the tenant elects not to accept the increase, then the lease will be terminated on the 30th day. You might give some thought to putting the lease in writing and making it for a specific period of time, like a year. Those seem to work out much better than verbal agreements.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.