Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

If a rental property lease has the lease term being 6-1-2016

Customer Question

If a rental property lease has the lease term being 6-1-2016 to 5-31-2016 would this negate the lease? Since the date is incorrect could one argue that the lease is not valid?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Do the parties bot acknowledge the typo to have intended the date to be 5/31/2017?

Is there anything int he lease that says the term is 12 months?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont want to have to keep paying for every question. Im guessing you will continue to ask more and I just want a straight forward answer. Will contact my lawyer tomorrow.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Here is your straightforward answer from an Illinois attorney with over 30 yrs of real estate practice experience:

If the lease is otherwise clear that the term was intended by the parties to be 12 mos then the typo will be treated as a harmless mistake and the lease will still be valid for 12 mos., as agreed between the parties.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.