Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

I am under lease at the apartment complex I live in until

Customer Question

I am under lease at the apartment complex I live in until 04.30.2017. I want to move out effective 11.30.2016. I've lived here and been n-time with rent for 5½ years. Is there any way I can break my lease without paying the additional two months that the lease agreement states? I want to give them 60 days notice rather than the 30 stated in the lease and plan to offer access for painting and flooring once my possessions are adequately removed for them to do so.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure I know what you mean
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

I see that your lease ends on April 30 but you wish to move out at the end of November. That would leave five months, by my count-December through April. Is there any provision in the lease that gives you the right cancel before April 30 upon giving so much notice? If not, then your best chance is to find someone to sublease the apartment for the final months. Be careful about that because your subtenant might cause damage for which you could become liable. Making arrangements for paining and flooring after you leave is a good idea. You want to do everything you can to minimize any damages they may claim when you leave early.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.