Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I want to end my lease early. I'm willing to pay the early

Customer Question

I want to end my lease early. I'm willing to pay the early termination fee but need some time to pay it. The lease does not say anything about notice but the tenant handbook says 60 day notice is required. Which do I follow?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

If you want to terminate the lease there are no rules you need to follow unless there is direction related to the termination clause in the lease. You can decide to terminate whenever you please and make a deal with the landlord for a payment plan, it really comes down to what kind of deal you can make. You might even be able to make a deal with the landlord to terminate your lease without much payment at all if you find another to replace you. Actually termination clauses are sometimes found to not be held valid as if a replacement tenant is found then you are not liable for paying rent. Essentially the landlord cannot receive double rent from you and another tenant. To answer your question, you can make a deal with the landlord for a payment plan and can give whatever notice both of you agree to. You can break your lease with 0 notice but that would make a deal with the landlord less likely.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you in advance.