Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

If I placed a notice to vacant in the drop box at my

Customer Question

If I placed a notice to vacant in the drop box at my apartment community, and they said they did not receive or lost it, what rights do I have?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Are you saying you are a tenant and were notifying the landlord that you would not be continuing in your tenancy?

.

Do you have any type of evidence you dropped it off, like witnesses who were with you?

.

Was your lease up, or are you month to month and were terminating, or was your lease set to renew and you didn't want it to?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was in Dallas Texas, Yes I was a tenant and was dropping off hand-written Notice to Vacant upon on 9/13/16 lease expiration, on July 4th weekend in the drop box, my friend was with me, so do have a witness.When I went into the leasing office to confirm they received it, they said they could not locate it and it was very busy weekend.Now they are saying I cannot produce proof and I have vacated yet, as they will not release me from my current lease, claiming I still need to give them written notice and will file an eviction.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have "not"yet vacated

Ok, is there some reason why you didn't vacate on 9/13 when your lease expired if you dropped off the notice?

.

Are they saying that the lease automatically renewed for another year?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never mind, I 'll consult my Family who is out of town at the moment, I was hoping to get a quicker response and do not want to keep paying for nothing and lots of questions. Consider this done and do not charge me other than the $34 I agreed too

I apologize for the delay, but I'm order to determine you legal position I have to have enough information to know what is going on.

.

But if you would like a refund, you just need to contact the Justanswer customer service and they will happily provide a full refund, no questions asked.

.

.

Thanks