barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

We rented a house for five years we we're struggling to keep

Customer Question

We rented a house for five years we we're struggling to keep up the rent payments so the landlord had us evicted we moved out and now the landlord is trying to sue us for five thousand dollars in damages we moved out of the rental in 9-30-14 can she still sue us or should we get a lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
St Clair County michigan

Ok, Michigan has a 6 year statute of limitations on a breach of contract action so they would have up until 9/29/2020 to pursue this with a civil lawsuit.

.

So yes, she can still try and sue you, but she will have to prove her damages and it might be hard to do 2 years later unless she has time stamped photos of the property before you moved in and then after you moved out to prove that you were responsible for any damage.

.

As for getting a lawyer, that might be a good idea, but you are probably looking at $1500-2000 up front in cash for an attorney to take the case.. So financially it might not be realistic to hire one to defend against a $5K claim..

.

thanks