Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I rented a room out of my home by verbal contract. The

Customer Question

I rented a room out of my home by verbal contract. The tenant gave me a thirty day notice of moving out, but did not pay this month's rent. She assumes she can use her deposit for that and just deduct a certain amount for each day she is here; and then I would be liable to give her the remaining deposit back to her in 5 days! I was told by someone who works in the apartment rental area, that she can't do that and she forfeited her deposit by doing that. Is this true?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Salem, Oregon
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: She was to pay $500 a month for rental of one bedroom, sole use of my family room and the second bathroom, share use of the kitchen and laundry room, half use of the garage, use of my second refridgerator located in the garage, and use of my backyard for their dog. They also had to pay $30 a month for a pet fee and a $750 deposit .
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This was all a verbal contract. I rented to her and her pre-tween daughter. She was seperated from her husband for the time being, but would visit quite often. I would allow him to spend the night a few times in a month, but it was mostly on the weekends.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.

Under Oregon law you can hold the deposit but you have to give them notice that you intend to hold it as damages for the unpaid rent in the last month.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise a positive rating of 5 stars would be greatly appreciated.