Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I live in an apt building that was originally built in the

Customer Question

I live in an apt building that was originally built in the 1920s in Beverly Hills and needs some substantial plumbing renovations. The renovations are directly under my unit and the unit adjacent to me. I will have to be relocated as the floors need to be pulled up. What are my rights and what obligations does the owner have to fulfill as my life will obviously be disrupted?
JA: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: California. No one has been contacted. The owner is attempting to be accommodating. I would just like to be aware of my rights and what I should expect as reasonable treatment.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Formerly 12 months. It has expired and is currently month to month. No maintenance issues. She is a good landlord/owner.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that comes to mind
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ashlee McLaughlin replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, since your lease is currently month to month, it can be terminated with only a month's notice. This means that if the landlord is planning to do substantial work that will take several months, it may be cheaper for the landlord to terminate your residency rather than offer relocation costs. If you don't believe that will happen because, as you stated, she is a good landlord, then you will certainly be entitled to rent deferment for the term that your apartment is not habitable. This means that she will not be able to charge you rent for the time you don't have access to the apartment. However, she will not have to provide you with compensation for another home during the time of the repairs. Do you have renters' insurance? If so, I would recommend that you call them and ask if they provide any relocation coverage for repairs.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Makes sense. Thank you Ashlee.