legalgems
legalgems, attorney
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I live in a two bedroom in san francisco that is under rent

Customer Question

i live in a two bedroom in san francisco that is under rent control i would like to move my girlfriend in to the apartment and i am wondering if the landlord can deny me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: california
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: up till last year they never come in i did all maintenance my self but last week they put a camera out side my apt and i can tell they are trying to find a way to evict me i have lived in the building for over ten years they hired a new property manger that i can tell is trying to out the tenants
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

Thanks for your patience as I reviewed this;

So here is the relevant website that discusses these specifics- but basically, if the lease does not address the issue, the tenant may have a roommate; many leases require the Landlord's consent. If so, this must be complied with (and having it written is best so it cannot later be denied) or the LL can evict based on breach of the agreement (ie failure to obtain consent).

If the tenant has had a roommate in the past, generally the courts will allow the tenant to replace that subtenant, and the LL cannot unreasonably withhold consent in that situation.

Here is the ordinance that governs consent:

http://sfrb.org/part-6-rent-increase-justifications

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!