Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I am overseas. My apartment was broken into. I was contacted

Customer Question

I am overseas. My apartment was broken into. I was contacted about it, they was broken into, screen removed and window open. Door locked. Took pictures, offered the pictures and a report. Following that, my car was stolen; the key was clearly stolen during the apartment break-in. The apartment complex has since released the person who notified me, they've provided no information, they lied to my friend about cameras on the property but now admit separately that there are cameras, and when asked by a friend about the window break-in, the leasing officer present knew nothing about it but said the door was left open. Clearly two different events (but I believe obviously related). The one I spoke to said the door was locked, the one my friend spoke to said the door was open and knew nothing about the window break-in. They are now trying to link the two as one event and accept no blame. I believe they left the door open (the complex) after a service order request made from Kuwait to fix a plumbing issue they created. What can I do about this??? What is your advice...I feel they are lying and covering up a story to protect themselves and the complex.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Did you have any renters insurance to cover any claims or loss? What do you want to sue for or do you want to get out of the lease?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have renter's insurance. Other than my car keys which led to my car being stolen, I am still not certain what was stolen. THey offered pictures and now won't provide them. I do not want to sue. I want advice on how I should handle acquiring the truth legally or through law enforcement as I have no idea. I can't begin to consider getting any monies lost without proving that first.

Were the police ever called? Was this investigated?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry, I already paid $51 and it's not been beneficial. I believe I made a mistake utilizing this resource. thank you for your time.

I am happy to work with you but need additional information, so I can provide you with the correct information. If I merely assume things and guess, I do not think it will help

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, thank you for condescending me with the obvious, but I already know that to be true. Yes, the police were called. Yes, there is finally a police report. I have no idea what the leasing office said to the police, but I know they've had a lot of time to get their story straight, remove the leasing officer from the property with whom is most familiar with he incident - the one who left the voicemail and spoke to me. The complex did not contact the police. I had to do it from Kuwait. It has been difficult handling this from here.I am in a room surrounded by four other employees, and this is too private to discuss on the phone at the moment. Are you charging me per response on this? I am just curious.Thank you.

No, not at all. There is no charge for us to go back and forth and exchange information. It is is easier, you can return later when you have privacy and we can dissect this even more.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not have a chance yesterday to make contact again. If it is too late, please let me know. If not, can we schedule something for tomorrow as I have a number of commitments to accomplish today, and it's already been an 11-hour day in the office. Your assistance is appreciated. thank you.

Yes, not an issue. When you are free, simply return and let me know on this page and I will be alerted and can respond.