Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants

L am wondering the best way to go about terminating my lease

Customer Question

l am wondering the best way to go about terminating my lease early with my landlord
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: CA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: lease is a basic lease, said there would be a gardener (they also said before they moved in they would landscape the backyard), no gardener has ever come (4 months in) and backyard still has not been landscaped
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

l In all can door, I must tell you that early cancellation of leases usually depends upon getting the consent of the landlord. Without that, you must have evidence of substantial defects to the point where the property has become virtually uninhabitable. What you mentioned is not likely to rise to that level in the eyes of the judge. Therefore, if you simply break the lease and move, and the landlord sues you for the balance owed under the lease, subject to an offset if he should rent the property to someone else, the landlord probably has better than an 80% chance of winning the case and obtaining a judgment against you. I know that this is in the answer that you wanted to hear, but if I told you anything more favorable to your position I would be is leading you and perhaps cause you to take steps that you will regret later.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.