barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

What are my rights? My landlady gave me permission to paint

Customer Question

What are my rights? My landlady gave me permission to paint the porch. I painted it and I painted the rest of the side of the house. Because I did not ask her for permission to finish painting the side of the house I violated the rental agreement. My landlord gave me a notice to quit dated 9/10/2016 requiring move-out by 9/31/2016. She also gave me an alternative which forgives me and provides the requirements for this forgiveness If I finish painting the house by Sep 31 as required in this alternative she will withdraw and cancel the notice to quit. We are on a month by month rental agreement I understand she does not have to renew our rental agreement. I could do what she asks and still be asked to vacate the premise. She could also change our contract and raise my rent. I also understand she can ask me to return her house in the condition she asked. I have know problem doing this and I have.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Can you be a little more specific about your legal question? "what are my rights" is kind of wide open...

.

Are you asking if the landlord can evict you based on the violation, or whether she can evict you if you paint everything, or something else?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Washington State,
can she requirre me to paint her house with no compensation or agreement that I will not be evicted after I complete what she has asked, What she has asked a professional could not do.

can she required me to paint her house with no compensation

.

She can ask that you do whatever she wants... It would be up to you to decide whether or not to agree to what she is asking or not. But if you violated the lease, she can choose to continue on with the eviction

'

or agreement that I will not be evicted after I complete what she has asked,

.

If she will enter into some type of written lease agreement with you, then she couldn't evict you afterwards unless you violated the terms of the lease.

.

But you are correct...without some type of written agreement, you could paint the house to have her withdraw the notice, and then she could turn around and give you a 30 day notice to terminate the month to month tenancy..

.

So if it were me, I would want something in writing as an agreement between the two of you if you were going to paint the rest of the house that she wouldn't evict you or just a new fixed term lease... I would explain my reasoning to her and if she is reasonable, she should understand your concerns and agree to enter into a new fixed term lease unless her intent is to terminate and evict anyway.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks