MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I really need some help. First of all, my husband and I were

Customer Question

I really need some help. First of all, my husband and I were great tenants. We always paid our rent on time and left the property cleaner than we received it. Our landlord after two years of leasing didn't send us a lease and told us not to worry and we had another year. We asked him three months later because he had an apprasier come out and he told us not to worry that he's not saling the property. Three months later, he told us he was pputting the property up for sale and we were on a month to month lease which we thought we had a year, but we didn't give him a hard time. Our two previous landlords sold the property on us so we were a little upset because or current landlords knew that we were nervous about that kind of thing becuase we wanted a rental we could rent for long term. We were curtious to realtor, gave proper notice, moved early so they could do a proper open house, and patched up the walls from our shelves. Our walkthrough with them, they told us that it looked good. Then they said that they have days to send us of deposit back. Then they told us later that they wanted to make another inspection. In the meantime, they had a realtor show the property. Two weeks later, they told us we had to pay for painting, sanding, and patchwork done from our shelving when I know we path up all our holes. We told them that it wasn't fair because especially the painting, but we said the sanding and re-patching we will pay to certain point as long as long as it is reasonable. They said they are charging us $700 because it took two days when I know we patch up our holes. Plus, they chose someone that had to travel over an hour to two hours away to fix the property which they included in the cost. I need an opinion because my husband and I are thinking this extremely unfair and want to take it to smalls claims court. we lved there over two and half year and that place was sparkling clean when we left it. Could you give me an opinion on our situation please.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

First, they would need to send you via certified mail an itemized breakdown of all the charges that they are claiming on your security deposit. Second, you could always contest those charges if they could have gotten everything addressed cheaper or more reasonably. However, you have to take into consideration that fighting this may end up being more expensive than paying them what they are claiming the damages are.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.