Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I recently lost my job two montbs ago and got an eviction

Customer Question

Hello. I recently lost my job two montbs ago and got an eviction notice. I was able to pay the rent owed along with the court fees totaling in $1,689.00. Upon my payment i informed my apartments manager that I wouldn't be able to pay the up coming months rent. He told me that we could ttalk and come up with a plan. I went into his office, called their phone for about 2-3 weeks and no one got back to me. I then email him and never heard from him for a whole week. I then called and asked him if he got my email and he said yes, but never give me a reaaon as to why he never got back to me. He then told me there was nothing he could do for me. I calles the corporate office and e-mail them and still no one got back to me. I then called again 2 days later and they told me someone should be getting back to me. I theb got a call stating that i had to pay my total owed or go to court. I asked if they could do some form of payment arrangements and they said no and i shohld call the accounting department. I just started my new job 2 days ago and have no money. I know my responsibility with rentpaymen however, I feel like they really weren't trying to help me being that they didn't reapond to ny calls or emails in time and now I'm. Going to be going to court because i have no money. I'm not ste why they wont do a payment arrangements with me because onec we do a settlement im going to end up doing a payment arrangements anyways.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Fargo, ND. I just got approve for unemployment 3 weeks ago and thats the money i used to pay $200 for my blance due.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Anything as in for unemployment- yes. I did all of that and used the money i had for bills and the rest for my apartment Also can i ask for the eviction to not show on my credit report.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. That would be all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 month ago.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, they are not required to offer you a payment plan, but they are supposed to mitigate their damages and if you are showing a willingness to make payments that is evidence. If they take you to court again, you might want to show the judge your phone records and copies of your email that showed you made good faith attempts to work with them and were not avoiding your payment responsibilities.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.