CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

My landlord sent me to court for a holdover when I went to

Customer Question

My landlord sent me to court for a holdover when I went to court date the court attoney found out that the apt. Wasn't registered and it was illegal to rent in that type of house the court gave me two months to move out I have been looking for apt. But no luck my due date passed so I went to court for more time the court gave me 2 weeks only what are my rights please advise your help it's appreciated
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am not sure what I can advise you of beyond what the court has already granted you.

If you do not relocated in the next 2 weeks, the court will grant a judgment of possession to the landlord (despite the zoning violation), and you will be forced to move.

If you fail to move at that time, the landlord will be issued a 'writ of eviction' allowing the sheriff or constable to forcibly remove you from the property.

The time between the judgment of possession and the writ of eviction vary by location (it depends on the backlog in the court's and law enforcement's offices), but you may be able to get another 2-4 weeks).