LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.

I currently live in Charlotte, NC, and have signed a lease

Customer Question

I currently live in Charlotte, NC, and have signed a lease until July 2017. Due to a family emergency, I need to move back to PA. When talking to my rental company, they insist that I must give them 60 days notice and 2 months rent, and then PAY two additional months rent to get out of my lease early.
Is this true?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. This is not something that is required under state law but is something which they are asking for, to terminate your lease early. It is not uncommon for the rental company to ask for a penalty to break the lease early and 2 months rent, is typically the penalty. However, what they are trying to get you to first stay 60 days and pay rent and then pay an additional two months, which does not seem that "fair". In a situation like this, you can make a counter offer and see if they would take the two months rent as a penalty and you agree to leave on X date. This way, you vacate and they can re-rent it and at the same time, they have the 2 months penalty

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!