Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

It is has been confirmed through lab analysis that are

Customer Question

It is has been confirmed through lab analysis that are basement tiles has 4% asbestos and became friable/disturbed last week after peeling and breaking. We believe there was asbestos fibers released as we cleaned up not knowing they contained asbestos. Can you advise what our landlord is obligated to do about this situation in our basement currently?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have asked for him to bring an abatement company to test, and sanitize if tests show harmful levels of asbestos. We feel that he is not going to do any of this. Their is a big section of the basement that we feel is a risk at this point. Is he obligated to make conditions safe if indeed tests show we are at risk
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your Landlord has obligation to bring in an abatement company to test the area for presence of asbestos in the air. If there is exposure, then the abatement company must offer remedial options at the Landlord's expense. If the Landlord is refusing to take action, then you need to contact your States Department of Environment Quality to investigate the matter.