Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

Is there a law in mass. Regarding how much a landlord can

Customer Question

Is there a law in mass. Regarding how much a landlord can raise your rent at one time? She raised it $250,00 more in one month
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

As long as a landlord gives proper notice, there is no Massachusetts law about how much rent can be raised. Rent cannot be raised during a lease period at all. With a month to month lease, the landlord must give at least 30 days notice. G. L. c. 186, Section 12. But the actual amount of the rent comes down to what the market will bear. When a landlord charges too much, the tenant can terminate the lease and move.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?