Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I have a landlord who has been progressive rude...and only

Customer Question

I have a landlord who has been progressive rude...and only communicates via email, even for emergencies. The landlord has taken over a month to finally say they will install smoke detectors in the home, on the first floor (two floor rental). Can I refuse the landlord or its agent entry into my home if i feel it is not at a reasonable time for me? Can I negotiate on a time of entry into my home?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: not that i am aware of. And I am at work, otherwise, I'd be able to give you clearer answers on the terms of the lease. But it is a generic lease provided by the realtor board of NV
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the realtor stated that i can either like the way she communicates or she will let me out of my lease, but her conditions of communication apply. I don't want to move. we love our home, but i hate her attitude. and she did make some racist remarks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

The law is as follows:

NRS 118A.330  Landlord’s access to dwelling unit.

1.  A tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent for the landlord peaceably to enter into the dwelling unit to:

(a) Inspect the premises;

(b) Make necessary or agreed repairs, decorating, alterations or improvements;

(c) Supply necessary or agreed services; or

(d) Exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, contractors or other persons with a bona fide interest in inspecting the premises.

2.  The landlord may enter the dwelling unit without consent of the tenant in case of emergency.

3.  The landlord shall not abuse the right of access or use it to harass the tenant. Except in case of emergency, the landlord shall give the tenant at least 24 hours’ notice of intent to enter and may enter only at reasonable times during normal business hours unless the tenant expressly consents to shorter notice or to entry during nonbusiness hours with respect to the particular entry.

4.  The landlord has no other right of access except:

(a) Pursuant to court order;

(b) Where the tenant has abandoned or surrendered the premises; or

(c) Where permitted under NRS 118A.440.

So, it appears that the LL can enter so long as she complies with this law.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.