Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Other
Experience:  30 Years of experience.
77476456

I am currently thinking about co signing for my nephew to

Customer Question

I am currently thinking about co signing for my nephew to rent an apartment in philadelphia. The rental agreement does not indicate a early release clause in the event of a caustrophic event. Should the lease agreement have an early release clause?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Philadelphia pennsylvania
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No issues related to maintenance or upkeep. He is scheduled to move in on 9/15/2016. no money has been exchanged. However, the tenant clause #23 indicates there could be exceptions to an early release.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: as a co signer I want to know what are my rights in this event
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Co-signing is almost always a universally BAD deal for the cosigner. You have NO rights and all legal obligations. If your nephew (or his room mates or his guests) cause a problem you are on the hook for the rent and potentially for damages to the unit.

You also have no right to know ahead of time that there is a problem. You can not inquire, inspect, review or oversee. So anything that comes along will be a surprise.

While it is commendable that you want to help your nephew, co signing is a BIG risk. You would be better served offering to contribute to an increased security deposit rather than cosigning the lease.

I am sorry that this may not be what you wanted or hoped to hear, but I would not want to mislead you into pursuing an action that could hurt you later.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

I see that you would like a call. But the payment did not go through. Let me see if there is something I can do.

See if it will go through by clicking the accept button. If so enter your contact information and I will call you.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Gerald

I am going offline for a while. If you have follow up questions I will respond as soon as I return.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Gerald