Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

Can I legally install a safety latch on the door to my

Customer Question

Can I legally install a safety latch on the door to my apartment in Arden,NC.There is no chain or safety lock to keep those with keys out when I am sleeping.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

There should be no restriction on you installing a safety latch of the type you envision. The landlord only needs to gain access in the case of an emergency when you are not in the premises. The type of latch you are talking about only is use when you are in the premises. For this reason you should feel free to install the latch.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.