Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

We own a property in California. Our renter's month to month

Customer Question

We own a property in California. Our renter's month to month lease expires on Sept 30/16. Because of non-payment of rent for Aug 2016 and Sept 2016 and non payment of utilities for July and Aug 2016 (payments are billed one month after usage) we sent her a 2 week notice on Aug 29/16 to vacate by Sept 12/16 via text and then had the notice posted to the property door on Sept 1/16. She will not acknowledge these notices and claims she will sue us if we terminate services to the property. We have cut off only the Wi-Fi and cable at this point. She continues to send us threats of what her plans are, ie serving us court documents, serving us with a court processor, attorney to contact us, calling police and going to the housing authority and law enforcement. This is what has happened since the beginning of Sept /16. What can we do and what should we do from our home in Alberta.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a CA licensed attorney and unfortunately, it appears that you are going about this all wrong and you may have already violated your tenant's legal rights.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Why did you send a 2 week notice and not a 3 Day Pay or Quit Notice?

2. Are wifi and cable included with the rent in your rental agreement?

3. Do you have a property manager assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.

Doug