How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask insearchoftheanswer Your Own Question
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 54995
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
insearchoftheanswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Landlord refuses to do repairs HOUSE is in such bad shape it

Customer Question

Landlord refuses to do repairs HOUSE is in such bad shape it is death trap I'M 65 disabled need pro bono lawyer ME my daughter and my rag doll cat have become sick because of the conditions of the house the owner lives out of state his name is Richard ***** ***** person that calls self landlord Chuck Kay I have been told by the electriction that the house needs to be bulldozed down MY name is***** phone number is(###) ###-####
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 8 months ago.

Good morning Debbie. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Can you tell me in what state you are located? Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your quick reply. It will take me a few minutes to type my response. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 8 months ago.

You absolutely have rights here. With every rental comes the implied warranty of habitability, which includes the tenant's right to the safe, healthy, peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the rented premises. Given your facts, you are clearly not being afforded such enjoyment of the premises....and therefore the landlord would be in breach of the implied warranty of habitability. This puts the landlord in default. This gives you the right to terminate the lease and sue for damages, including the cost of moving plus include reimbursement of a portion of all prior rent to date to compensate for the reduced value of the rental property due to the reduced benefit of your rental bargain due to the inhabitability. Furthermore, although you have the right to terminate the lease due to the breach, you are not required to do so. Rather, you can file a claim against the landlord for damages due to this breach. Damages would include reimbursement of a portion of all prior rent to date to compensate for the reduced value of the rental property due to the problems, and to either reduce the rent going forward or pay you for temporary living expenses, at your option, until the problem is fully remediated.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can not afford that and I am legally blind it is hard for ME to see I know everything you have told ME my problem is they are trying to throw me out I have no transportation no family been looking for another place I want to sue them how do I go about doing it I'M indengent
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 8 months ago.

First, the law does not allow them to throw you out without obtaining an eviction order from the police. You would get notice of any petition filed with the court and could contest the landlord's petition; based on your facts, you would easily prevail and the court would dismiss the landlord's petition. Also, Mississippi law prohibits the landlord from any retaliation against you for pursuing your legal rights. If you want to sue them, I would suggest getting a lawyer. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school. In my experience, simply filing the suit is sufficient to get the landlord to resolve this issue in your favor and you would not need to appear in any court to simply file the suit. Given that you are low on funds, I would suggest you go to your nearest law school. Most of them have legal clinics that are run by law students and supervised by law professors that will take cases such as yours on a pro-bono basis to help the students, who are idealistic, energetic, and very bright, get experience while under the watchful tutelage of their law professors.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just WASTED &34 I REALLY NEED for no reason because I can SEE you can not HELP ME
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry you feel that way; I tried to give you all your available options. You have plenty of recourse here and I've given you the roadmap to pursue them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 8 months ago.

I tried to answer your question fully, completely, and accurately. But, since I have not apparently been able to provide you the help you seek, I will opt out to open your question up to all experts so another expert can hopefully timely provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
GOD BLESS YOU HAVE a wonderful day
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 8 months ago.

Thank you! You too!