Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

I have been added to a lease in march 2016. My roommate

Customer Question

Hello.I have been added to a lease in march 2016. My roommate began the lease in feb 2016. It ends feb 2017.She recently requested to be released from the lease. Please see attached form. I believe I am not obligated to release her, and am possibly allowed to negotiate terms for her lease on my own... apart from the management office. I am considering asking for her shared amount of rent as she has been paying for the last months of the lease, in order for her to be released.As the release form says.. she will not be allowed to receive the deposit amount. If i take over the lease, am i legally obligated to return that to her? If i do not.. is it possibly she can sue me for that amount?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

NO. As part of your written agreement to take over the lease, the assignor (her) would assign her rights in the security deposit to you and release you and the landlord from all future claims. See par 1 Vacating Roommate

I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.