Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

My landlord moved us in knowing the septic was bad and

Customer Question

My landlord moved us in knowing the septic was bad and getting ready to go at any moment. She even kept going back and forth about selling the property because she couldnt afford to have it fixed then was surprised when we told her we were mobing before the winter. Now she is posting pictures of my personal things that I have stored in the barn on the property and calling us slobs. Im not saying I was perfect but 90% of the stuff was hers that we couldnt throw it away because she wanted to keep it.Do I have any recourse at all? I am moving to NC at the end of OCT anyway and was advised to leave things alone cuz we are moving. Now she keeps driving by the property and drivingdown the driving way past the house and then turning around without any notification. Plus she ordered a company out here to cut back all the bushes and trees she said we let overgrow. This stuff wasn't even maintained when she lived in the state and had previous tenants but its getting blamed all on us. What do I do? Her letter to quit tenancy on Oct. 31st came in from the attorney no big deal cuz we are out of here anyway. what can I do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licnesed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Has she charged you for maintenance or repairs which were not your responsibility?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
I am not sure I understand your question. Could you specify what your question is?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im wondering what recourse I have at this point. she knowingly moved us in and at first we didn't think anything about it but now we know the truth. She drives by here whenever she feels like and will drive down the driveway and back out. She has taken pictures of our things and posted them on facebook from the barn that we have for storing things.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never giving us any kind of notice
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
You have the right to quiet enjoyment and could sue her for violating that warranty. You might als have claims for trespass and harassment.
you may be entitled to a refund of the rent you have paid.
You can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.