Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.

My tenant was home and there water heater broke, she was

Customer Question

My tenant was home and there water heater broke, she was home at the time and did not notice it until I came home and saw the water coming down my wall. I am the Landon's, that night we replaced the water heater so they could have water. Do I need to replace there rug legally? Looking for some guidance ,, this was in the state of ma
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, yes, legally, if your water heater broke, if the tenant did not cause it to break and the rug is damaged, you need to either clean it or replace it. If the rug can be cleaned and dried out so it does not mold, then you can clean it and do not have to replace it. If it cannot be dried out and cleaned, then it has to be replaced.