AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I have a tenant who does small handyman jobs on the property

Customer Question

I have a tenant who does small handyman jobs on the property and is given a credit against the rent. When I write the rent receipt I put in the amount box the actual cash amount received and note on the receipt the amount for the work credit. I then mark on the receipt "paid in full". The tenant now wants me to indicate in the payment box the full amount of the rent. To me, this indicates the tenant paid the full rent in cash. I am uncomfortable doing this. Please give me your comments
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

You should not indicate something on the receipt that is different than what is actually happening. If you do that, you could be denied the business deductions for the repair expenses on your taxes. And/or be attributed the full amount of the rent as cash received. You are doing your receipts correctly by indicating a credit for repairs and deducting that from the rent.

Has that answered your question?

I see that you reviewed my response, but you didn't state if I helped or not. Can you please let me know if I answered your question? If so, can you please give a positive rating?