CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.

I am a tenant who finished a one year lease in San Diego, CA

Customer Question

I am a tenant who finished a one year lease in San Diego, CA on Aug 28. I am buying a house so on Aug 20 I gave 30 days notice (until Sept 18) that I would be moving out. That same day I was informed my rent would be raised and I would have to pay through Sept 30th. I have looked up CA law and it says that since my one year lease was up and I transitioned to month to month that I needed to give 30 days notice. Also that my rent cannot be raised without 30 days notice. I paid the prorated amount of the month I will be staying in the house at the original rate. Now the home owner is threatening me based on paying until the end of the month and at the increase rate. Is this valid? Based on what I've read on the site this seems like it isn't right. He's throwing out lot of threats (on email and text) and I just want to move out without problems. Please advise. Thanks. Troy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

You are exactly right.

For some more legal authority see these links (each is from the CA Attorney General and the legal authority (case law or statute) is cited in the footnotes at the bottom of the article).

Rent increase rules:

Tenant lease termination rights:

For a complete copy of the AG's landlord tenant guide, see:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Bill,
Can I call you tomorrow through this email "Call me" link? I am busy moving out (asap) but I would like to fill you in on the rest of what has happened in our one year at this house.

Dear Customer, I do not participate in the phone call program for the site, however, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions. (If you have questions about these additional services, you can contact our customer service at: Most customers receive a phone call within 15-30 minutes.

• If you are not available now, I would recommend waiting to submit the premium services request until you are ready to take a phone call from another attorney as they usually try to make those phone calls as soon as the customer makes a request.