Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

I have a landlord who surprises me with mystery eviction

Customer Question

I have a landlord who surprises me with mystery eviction fees months after this "fee" occurs.
I was late on my rent in May, you get 7-days after rent is due in my state before a landlord can start the process to evict you. I was 10-days late. My landlord charges $10 a day, so that fee was expected, and paid in full.
In August, he e-mails me to ask me when I was going to pay $750 in late fees. I was like...from when? He said "The time I proceeding with eviction" and when I ask for paperwork he tells me...the lawyer just wrote a summons, but never took me to court but I still have to pay all the fees. But he still cannot provide any invoice or anything to show proof of the expense he incurred.
Is that even legal? I am not going to pay that because I don't even know if it happened. How can a lawyer charge you a fee without an invoice?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 months ago.

When your landlord let you stay on and continue to pay the rent without filing the eviction, he waved legal fees for eviction work. You should not have to pay such fees.

I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.