Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

A former roommate never paid rent the entire time they we're

Customer Question

A former roommate never paid rent the entire time they we're on the lease and noe filing a claim against me for eviction fees after I didn't give enough notice to vacate. How would I go about filing my own claim for back rent?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 9 months ago.
You go to court where case is pending. The clerk will give you an answer form where you deny the claims. You also would include a counterclaim for money he owes you.
Some thoughts on preparation - You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.

thanks in advance.