AttyHeather, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

I left Hearthstone, Apple valley, the end of April 2016. I

Customer Question

I left Hearthstone, Apple valley, the end of April 2016. I just heard Sept. 2, 2016 from a debt collector they want $1840.99. I asked for a copy of the billing statement. I have not heard from Hearthstone, by phone or email since end of April 2016. I painted all walls, patched all holes, etc at that time. I had two shih tzus that I walked 2-3 times a day.
They charged me w/the cost of replacemnt carpet (one bedroom and hall). However for your info the lady that lived there prior left her two terriors two to four days without supervision. they did not replace my carpet. Plus I had a throw rug 10X12 in the living room that covered all open area. I have 10-12 witnesses to the church that moved my furniture from the living room (carpet that would not have urine stains), the woman who let her terriers day in and day out.
Last, I never received one statement from hearthstone from April 2016 to this day, Sept 2, 2016 I received a phone call from the debt collector. That is how cheating, nasty, illegal they are. Believe me, I have 1,2 10 even 12 witnesses to my entire story.
Will you represent me in this legal matter?
Carolyn ********
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

If you have 10-12 witnesses who will attest that you did not do the damages, that is great. Also, do you know if you noted the existing damage in your rental contract you signed upon move-in. You might see if you can find any photos taken at move in, and compare with photos at move out (or as close to those times as you can find). You also have the right to cross examine the landlord and have him admit the prior tenant had a dog, have him show that rental contract, and have him admit that he did not replace carpeting after prior tenant moved out.

Let me know if that helps. If you have followup, please let me know.

Can you please let me know if I have answered your question? Please type in your response.