Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I received a notice of a rent increase of 12%, $94.20 per

Customer Question

I received a notice of a rent increase of 12%, $94.20 per month. I started checking with my neighbors about their rent increase. The average of 11 neighbors asked was an increase of $41.00. I then gave a written request to the Park Manager for an explanation of the increase. I also requested a copy of my lease and park rules, mine has disappeared. What I received was a copy of a letter dated 1/1/2016 telling me there is 2 years left on my lease and they are offering me a one time chance to renew my lease for 30 years, keeping my rent the same and the offer is only good through 2/28/16. If I did not respond to the letter and sign a new lease my rent increases would be 12% for the next 2 years and after that I would be on a month to month lease agreement. This letter was to have been mailed to me and on the bottom of the letter is a hand written statement that a copy was posted to my home on1/15/16 by Bill Masterson who is the representative from the main office of the management company who the park Manager works for, they also own the park. There is speculation there is something going on between him and her.
Until yesterday I had never seen that letter. There never was a copy posted to my home nor did I receive a copy through the mail. I have been having difficulty with the management here for awhile. She has taken a dislike for me and I have no idea why other than my wife caught her son stealing a bike from us and called the police causing him to get arrested. She has not provided me with a copy of my lease or Park rules. My feeling a letter of that nature should have been mailed "Certified Mail" requiring a signature. My feeling is she is trying to get me out of the park. What are my rights and is this legal?
Thank you,
Michael Keough(###) ###-####
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 3 months ago.
Legally you are entitled to pay the agreed rent. It cannot be raised during a lease term. After a lease term only on 30 day notice delivered to tenant. If not received the increase is ineffective.
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.

thanks in advance.