LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

I live in NY state Iam divorcing my wife we have rental

Customer Question

I live in NY state Iam divorcing my wife we have rental property she refuse to share rent money with me she even rented one of the house without my consent what law will help me stop this loss of money
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand what you are going through. Just to be clear, you have filed for divorce and it is pending before the court?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have file file for a divorce

Thank you. If the divorce is pending with the court, you need to file a motion and ask the Judge to order that while the divorce is going on, any rent that she is collecting needs to be shared. The rent should be applied to the home first and its upkeep ( i.e. mortgage, insurance, etc) but after that, any profits should be shared. If the home was bought during the marriage, it would be considered a martial asset and something you have a shared legal right in. As such, she can not just rent the home and make money without sharing it with you and this is something that the Judge can order she pay you for.

Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.