barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

We live in Seattle and are coming up on a lease renewal. We

Customer Question

We live in Seattle and are coming up on a lease renewal. We were made aware of a rent increase with plenty of time to consider it and agree. 8 days before the lease expired we received new terms and addendums that we do not agree with. This is obviously too short of a time period to find a new place and move. Do we have any legal ground to reject the new terms and require that they renew the original lease (except the increase)?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Do we have any legal ground to reject the new terms and require that they renew the original lease (except the increase)?

.

Unfortunately, unless there is something in the fixed term lease that requires the landlord to give you a certain amount of notice of the new terms, then there is no such requirement as a matter of law. A fixed term lease expires of its own volition without any required action on either side's part unless the lease specifically requires it.

.

So to answer your question directly, yes you can reject the new terms, but no you can't force them to renew the original lease. If you rejected their proposed terms, then you would have to vacate the dwelling on the final day of the fixed term lease or the landlord could consider you a holdover tenant and immediately file to evict through the courts the next day.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the prompt response. Are we forced to sign whatever terms they want then given that our contract requires us to give a 20 day notice as to whether we intend to renew or not? Even though the new terms were delivered with 8 days notice to us.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..

Are we forced to sign whatever terms they want then given that our contract requires us to give a 20 day notice as to whether we intend to renew or not?

.

If you weren't given the new lease terms prior to that 20 days, then it would have been impossible for you to give notice because you didn't know what terms were being proposed. So no, the landlord can't hold you to that 20 day requirement unless he gave you the new terms well in advance of that deadline..

.

But unless they are willing to negotiate on the terms, then you would have to either accept them or reject them as proposed..

.

.

thanks

.

thanks