Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

My family was evicted from our home about July 27th, an

Customer Question

My family was evicted from our home about July 27th, an agency sent us to a motel, Hickmans motel in millsboro, de. Upon our arrival we were itchy, but we figured it may have been mosquitoes because we were outside a lot. As the weeks went by, we realized that they were bed bugs. My 11 year old son is absolutely scarred on both of his arms, my toddle daughter has bites on her, and my infant son as well. Finally, being able to catch one of these bugs to bring as proof to management that this was going a big issue happened. The owner threatened me, saying he would have my childens taken from me. The next morning, today, he sent message telling us that he would not accept our rent payment for the week from us until the room was cleaned, which was fine. Minutes later, he sent the housekeeper down with a note putting us out of the room and onto tue street. I helieve this was retaliation because of the complaints, we have complained about the room cleanliness, not receiving supplies, fresh linens, black mold, holes in the walls and floor boards and etc....I also beliece that this was perpetuated by the housekeeper who is afraid of losing her job because she has not cleaned the rooms as she should be. It was also stated to us that theyve never had issues with bes bugs and no other complaints. Last week we witnessed a room being fumigated for bed bugs, several residents stated that last summer the whole motel had to be treated for them. I also read customer reviews for the motel myself on google maps after trying to find dieections from my job to this place, I was horrified. I would have never came there by choice and its sad that owners and managers of the establishment dont pay attention to the cleanliness of theor place and the health of their tenants who are paying $285 per week! I was planning to have the health department here help me with this situation before we were put out on tue street anf I am going to continue the process....but I thought I would seek legal counsel as well
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Delaware
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation but I look forward to assisting you. Keep in mind that we can only provide you with legal information and not legal advice. May I ask what legal information you are seeking, specifically?