Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I need help to recover my security deposit from my previous

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I need help to recover my security deposit from my previous landlord
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Pompano Beach, FL
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My roommate and I were initially on a 1 year lease at the property from June 2014 to May 2015. One month's rent was given as security deposit for the same. We then spoke to the landlord and extended the lease until July 2016 without getting a new lease document written up. Now, after move out, the landlord is withholding two-thirds of the security deposit for damages. He claims that the expenses were for: 1. Repainting the property, 2. Replacing the couch, 3. Replacing the screen door outside the apartment and 4. Carpet cleaning.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me how long after you moved out did the landlord send you the itemized breakdown of charges?

.

Are you disputing that there were any damages?

.

Was the paint brand new when you moved in?

.

How about the couch and screen door?

.

Was the carpet clean when you moved in?

.

.

thanks