CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.

I just recieved a letter 3 days ago I have been living in

Customer Question

I just recieved a letter 3 days ago I have been living in the studio for 6 years and a company bought property and was given a 47 % increase from 475.00 to 700.00 and was month to month and new owner is given 60 days for increase and no one else in apts got a notice
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: oregon
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: well the new owner said they drew out of a hat on who gets increase and they say everyone else will get one but not no when
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am very sorry to learn of this situation and of the drastic rent increase.

Unfortunately, Oregon does not have any form of rent protection or stabilization. Landlords are permitted to raise rent whenever they please with only 30 days notice (as long as it is not mid-lease, so they cannot raise rent half way through a 12 month lease). The landlord has no obligation to keep rent equal between the units in the same building.

In your case, you have a month to month lease and your landlord raised your rent with a 60 day notice.

Your options are to:

1. Pay the increase
  2. Give 30 days notice and vacate the apartment (do not just move out, make sure to give notice first!)
  3. Try to negotiate with the landlord for a lower rent increase (the landlord has no obligation to reduce their demand - they may be trying to "test the water" with the rent increase, and you may be able to get them to agree to a smaller amount).

I do wish I had a different answer for you on this matter, but I want to provide you with a clear and direct answer so that you can proceed accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.