Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants
18215332

I just signed a lease for one year August 1st, 2016.=, and

Customer Question

Good Day. I just signed a lease for one year August 1st, 2016.=, and the owner sold the building. the new owners came with an offer of 5000.00 and two months rent. what are my rights! I just moved in. The owners should have informed the mangagers about selling. forgive my spelling and typos.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Why do I need to minimize? do not understand?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in? What confuses you?
Customer: California, Los Angeles
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. This just happened on Thursday. He called Saturday to discuss Owner's package. Told him to wait till Tomorrow.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's it. been looking online to see if there was a precedent for this sort of action.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 months ago.

Are you saying that the new owners are making you an offer to buy out your lease?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How much compensation should I receive for the move. The owners did not inform me that they were selling the building before I'm I signed the lease and they should not have allowed me to move in if the property was up for sale
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was not an offer to buy out the lease. They did not know I had just moved in.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not want to pay the $59 extra to talk to anyone I just want to some basic information so I'm not sure how this works. But once again I feel I just got duped

I'm presuming that the sale of the building took place after your lease was signed, but was it closed after you moved in? Also what is your specific question about the situation?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your help. Just a little overwhelmed with all the things that are happening. Probably need face time with a person here in LA. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have no idea when building was sold. For sale sign was put up on July 29. I was given this info by one of the tenants that was living there already.

Basically, if your lease was signed before the building was sold and the lease doesn't contain any cancellation right to the landlord, then the buyer will often be found to have bought it subject to your lease and you do not have to move. That is why your landlord is so concerned about it. He may have warranted the right of possession to his buyer, and if he did he's he might have a problem with his buyer. But also, a buyer has a duty to inspect the property prior to the sale and determine who is actually in possession of it or parts of it. That's it in a nutshell. I hope that this is helpful enough in your meeting with an LA attorney, that you can enter a positive rating for my assistance at this time. There is no additional charge for that.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I hope that this answers your question. If not, please feel free to send me a reply for further information. Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks for your understanding and for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. I hope that you are enjoying the holiday weekend. I thought I would follow up just to see if you have resolved your legal question through your LA attorney, or if you have something that you wish to follow up with me. If not, please rate my prior answers and I will close this question out. Thanks for using Just Answer.