David Stewart
David Stewart, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law

I have a rental property. both people living there are on

Customer Question

I have a rental property. both people living there are on the lease. one party has been out of the house for 2 months .and she is trying to get into the house calming that the stuff in there is hers he is saying its His.. it is a tribal unit. what can I do as a care taker - land lord If she tries to come into the house ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  David Stewart replied 1 month ago.

Dawn - in my opinion you cannot deny her access to the property if she is legally on the lease. Your only legitimate option in this instance is to evict her for breach of the lease agreement, but based on what you are saying it is my understanding the payments are being made. In short, I would advise against assisting the male tenant in keeping her out of the house because you could be held accountable by the authorities if you are found to be refusing someone access to their properly owned property. I hope this helps, and do not hesitate to let me know if I missed an important fact or you have further quesitons. All the best, David

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what steps so I need to take to evict her ?

Dawn - I accidentaly typed this somewhere else, but the steps are explained very will in my opinion at this link.

I would suggest you proceed without an attorney to keep costs to a minimum, but if you have any trouble go ahead and retain one in your area in Canada. Good luck to you and please let me know if you have any follow up for me. Thanks, David