Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

Well, I live in a subsidized income subdivision but I am in

Customer Question

Well, I live in a subsidized income subdivision but I am in a "market rate" rental. Meaning no subsidy. Management wants me to fill out "subsidy recertification" paperwork. Do I have to provide this financial info when I am not on any assistence? State is Utah
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything. I think they are just wanting information and not necessarily need or have a right to it.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Are you able to contact the agency that pays the subsidies?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's government. I have no idea which agency to try to contact. Though I'd consult an attorney, thus my question here. The owners site "Housing and Recovery Act enacted on July 30 2008 for 100% Eligible Tax Credit Properties" in their letter justifying the collection of the information. They site they are a "Low Income Housing Tax Credit Property" operating under section 42 of the IRS code. Does the federal law over subsidized housing require nonsubsidized units report all their financials to the owners like the subsidised units do? I get no assistance. I can't understand why I am being told I have to fill out assistence papwerwork. I have already lived here a year and 8 months.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Missed this paragraph. "The IRS requires that Owner or Owner's agenst annually recerrtify all houshold income, assets and student status to determine your continued eligibility fo an affordable Section 42 unit."
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not in a Section 42 unit. I am in a "Market Rate" unit paying what the market will bear.