Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

The HOA managing 2 condos sent a letter asking for

Customer Question

The HOA managing 2 condos sent a letter asking for information on our tenants. They also say because of a policy resolution they passed, we are required to send them a copy of the lease or rental agreement with our tenants. We believe that information is strictly between our tenant and ourselves and that they are not entitled to it. Are we correct? These properties are in Sparks, NV.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. First of all, it is not unusual for Associations to have restrictions and requirements for tenancies. So this in itself is not unusual. And you may wish to ask the Association for a copy of these bylaws to make sure that they are really in place.

Assuming they are, then, the Association has a right to request a copy of the landlord/tenant application and contract - this is actually very common. They also have a right to ask about the tenant. There is no privacy law that covers a landlord/tenant contract and you can share it with third parties (with reasonable redaction of private information such as SSNs when necessary). And in cases of Associations that pass bylaws demanding it, you are required to do so.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!